Sunday, February 1, 2009

Snow shoe shuffle

I had never heard of a snow shoe race until the day before Diana and I actually did one at Park City. You put these funny shoes on and feel like daffy duck, very uncoordinated. It was a 5k shoe race. People had been doing training for it and I hadn't even seen snow shoes before and was thinking...."Oh dear, what has Diana gotten me into this time. (Diana said it was easy!!) I thought it would be like a fun, silly race and when we were at the starting line, all these people are in serious athletic snow wear, wanting a good 'race time' to qualify for other winter marathons. We were just there for the fun of it and a work out! (Well, at least I was, Diana likes a bit of competiion)

Before the race....

Acknowledging that I look like a complete dork!!

Our new friends
As I was doing the race, trying to work out the silly shoes and taking in the beautiful scenery I appreciated the bizareness of the whole thing!! I was laughing as I looked up at Diana taking it more seriously ahead of me as I tried to figure out the stupid shoes which kept flipping up and banging my shins!!! Owwww.

Diana came first in the womens division and I came third. Diana adds another element of fun around here :)